logo.gif

Boyton School

logo.gif



Back

Home 
picture.gif Boyton Village School

Boyton Village School

The school in Boyton which had been built by the charity trustees in 1867 had been staffed and funded by the East Suffolk Education Committee since its inception in the 1870s. The land and buildings remained the property of the Mary Warner Trustees but in 1908, the Charity Commission deemed the property to be a separate educational foundation. This made no difference in practice but when the Education Committee relinquished its use of the school on 22 December 1938, the Clerk to the Trustees had written to the Charity Commission and the Board of Education to ask for the Trustees position to be made clear. In the view of the Trustees the school would not allow of economical conversion to a dwelling-house but if sold they thought that any proceeds should properly fall back into the general funds of the charity.

During the War, the school, the village Reading Room and several of the almshouses had been requisitioned by the army and in 1941 to house homeless families evacuated from the Sudborne Battle Area. Boyton experienced some damage from enemy action. During the nights of 19/20 August 1940 and 15/16 January 1941 "considerable damage was done to some of the almshouses and the Nurses house by enemy high explosive bombs".

After release from military occupation in 1944, the school was sold by auction in Woodbridge. The following year, Major Langley (a Trustee and himself a barrister) undertook to visit the Board of Education and if unable to make progress in recovering the proceeds of the sale, to seek the opinion of learned counsel. Mr Waites opinion makes it clear that the money had to remain as a separate foundation. Having failed to secure the transfer of the proceeds, now invested, to the almshouse charity, the Trustees appear to have lost interest after Major Langleys death in 1947. The sale money, held by the Charity Commissioners, was left for over 40 years quietly accumulating.

The production of a scheme by the Charity Commission to utilise this money is still awaited and it seems extraordinary that it has taken so long to materialise. From a few hundred pounds in 1944, the invested assets are now worth over 20,000 and the present trustees are anxious (since the almshouse charity cannot have it) that young people in Boyton and adjoining villages should benefit from the income it will produce in meeting some of their educational needs.

 

 


For email address go to Contact link on home page                                 Page last updated Thursday, 6 May, 2004