logo.gif

Kelly's Directory 1896

logo.gif



Shottisham

Back

Home 

picture.gif

Boyton is a parish near Butley Water, 6 miles west from Melton station on the Great Eastern Railway, 4 south-west from Orford and 8 east-south-east from Woodbridge, in the South Eastern division of the county, Wilford Hundred, Woodbridge petty sessional division, union and county court district, rural deanery of Wilford, archdeaconry of Suffolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St Andrew is a building of stone, chiefly in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel nave, north aisle, south porch and a w3estern tower containing one bell: it was rebuilt (with the exception of the tower) and enlarged in 1869-70, at a cost of about £1,300: on the north side is a handsome Norman doorway: there are 170 sittings. The register dates from the year 1616. The living is a rectory, average tithe rent-charge £285, net yearly value £223, including 23 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the trustees of the late Mrs Mary Warner, and held since 1891 by the Rev. Adam Washington M.A. of St John's College, Cambridge and surrogate. Here is a Baptist chapel. There are almshouses for 12 poor men and 12 poor women, founded by Mrs Mary Warner in 1740 and endowed with land here: the inmates now have 8s. each weekly: the rector is chaplain and paymaster, at a salary of £45 yearly. Here is a reading room and library, built in 1878 by Robert Johnson esq. and a recreation ground. Lord Rendlesham, who is lord of the manor, and the trustees of the almshouse estates are the principal landowners. The soil is light; subsoil, sand and gravel, with occasional veins of clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips. The area is 1,528 acres of land and 70 of water; rateable value, £1,323; the population in 1891 was 223.

Parish Clerk, John Wolton

Post & M. O. O., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office-
John Wolton, sub postmaster. Letters arrive through Woodbridge at 8am; dispatched at 4.15pm in winter and 5.15 in summer. Alderton is the telegraph office.

School (mixed) erected in 1868 by the trustees of the almshouse and enlarged in 1891, for 65 children; average attendance 50; Miss Florence Stanton, mistress.

Carriers to Woodbridge. - George Disbrey and Samuel Pettitt, mon. thurs. & sat. and Daniel Wolton from Capel St Andrews, tues. thurs & sat.

Washington Rev. Adam M.A. (rector & rural dean), Rectory
Clouting Charles Jasper, blacksmith
Cole Watson, miller (wind & steam)
Disbrey George, carrier & butcher
Disbrey Robert, grocer & draper
Green Walter, Bell inn
Johnson Earnest, farm steward to the Colonial College & Training Farms Limited, Boyton all
Johnson Frederick, farmer, Dock farm & frogs Hall farm
Ling George, farmer, Valley farm
Minter David, cattle dealer
Minter Nathan, coal dealer
Reading Room & Library
Richardson Frederick, carpenter.



For email address go to Contact link on home page                                 Page last updated Sunday 22nd February 2009